Bartels Middle Inducts AVID and Future Business Leaders
Students honored at special ceremony on Oct. 26.
From Bartels Middle School:
Students in the Bartels Middle School's AVID Program and the Future Business Leaders of America participated in an induction ceremony in their honor last week.
Students were given elegant certificates so they would be able to value the keepsakes from this important event.
Advancement Via Individual Determination, known as AVID, is an elementary-through-post-secondary college readiness system that is designed to increase schoolwide learning and performance. The AVID system accelerates student learning, uses research-based methods of effective instruction, provides meaningful and motivational professional development, and acts as a catalyst for systemic reform and change.
AVID's schoolwide/districtwide initiative focuses on increasing the depth and breadth of AVID's college readiness influence, through program implementation at both the school and district level.
Related to schoolwide and districtwide, AVID and acceleration provide a connection between AVID's support structure and rigorous opportunities for all students, including Advanced Placement (AP)®, International Baccalaureate (IB)®, and concurrent or dual enrollment college courses.
- Future Business Leaders of America, or what we call FBLA, is an education organization that prepares students for careers in business and business-related fields. FBLA has been in existence since 1937. FBLA has four divisions:
1. FBLA for high school students.
2. FBLA-Middle Level for junior high, middle, and intermediate school students.
3. Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) for postsecondary students.
4. Professional Division for businesspeople, FBLA-PBL alumni, educators, and parents who support the goals of the association.
FBLA-PBL is the largest business career student organization in the world.
Now that is pretty amazing for a Career and Technical Student Organization, known as a CTSO. As Bartels reactivate their chapter of FBLA this year, I am proud to say that our current FBLA chapter has 68 active members. The 2011-2012 chapter of FBLA is currently under the supervision of Selena Lewis.
As you can see, both the AVID Program and FBLA, prepares students for college and the business world. Students that are in these programs and organizations at Bartels will definitely have the tools and resources that they need to make academic success.