Bike Registration Events Aim To Deter Theft
Bicycle registration events have been scheduled for Jan. 19, including at the University Area Community Center. The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is behind the effort, urging due diligence in stemming the rise of bike thefts.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office deputies aim to stem the rise of bicycle thefts by working with residents to register their bikes at one of four events scheduled for Jan. 19 at neighborhood parks and centers, including at the University Area Community Center on 22nd Street.
"Should a bicycle be lost or stolen, the best way to help the sheriff's office locate, identify and return a bicycle to its rightful owner is to register it," according to a sheriff's office event release. "Simply by registering your bicycle, you are helping to deter bicycle theft."
For more on bicycle theft and intervention, including tips and an instructional video for how best to lock your bike, see:
Here's How Bicylce Registration Works
- A registration number is assigned to your bicycle.
- Ownership information is entered into the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office's records management system.
Hillsborough County Bicyle Registration Event Locations
(Saturday, Jan. 19, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Brandon Recreation Center, 510 East Sadie Street
- Gardenville Recreation Center, 6219 Symmes Road, Gibsonton
- University Area Community Center, 14013 North 22nd St., Tampa
- Channel Park Trailhead (Upper Tampa Bay Trail), 9201 West Waters Ave., Tampa